Flint mining attests to a human presence in the early days
The history of the village, whose former name was Curleium, goes back to the settlement of the Normans led by Rollon during the
treaty of Saint Clair sur Epte in 912.
grandson or great-nephew of Rollon, became the first Baron of Creully
and built a fortress on the site of a former gallic oppidum.
Nothing from that fortress (also known as a Bailey castle) made up of a fence which protected the timber tower and overlooked
the Seulles river, remains.
During the fraticide war between the sons of William the Conqueror, Robert-Fitz-Haimon
, second Baron of Creully, took the side of
Henri Beauclerc against his brother Robert-Courte Heuze.
The tragedy of Secqueville-en-Bessin told by Orderic Vital took place during that conflict.
to see the diaporama
Robert-Hitz Haimon erected a fortress (a fortification in stone) in the XIth century.
There are some remains of that fortress at the entrance of today’s castle as well as the large vaulted room on the ground floor.
In the XIIth century, Mabel,
daughter and heiress of Robert-Hitz-Haimon married Robert of Caen
the natural son of Henry 1 Beauclerc,
King of England, and thus became the third Baron of Creully.
In the XIIIth century, the castle was handed over to the Tillières
family, united by marriage to the first Barons of Creully.
The square fortress was then surrounded by ditches and its remparts were topped by a wall walk.
In the XIVth century, the existing vaults were inserted in the large room (hall) and the interior of the building looked like
the one the visitor sees today. Originally, it was opened from floor to roof.
Theatre of conflicts between the French and the English during the Hundred Years’ war, the castle returned to his former
owner after the battle of Formigny (15 April 1450) which gave Normandy back to France and Creully to Philip of
At the beginning of the XVIth century, Mary, heiress of the Barons of Creully, married Jean de Sillans
who thus became the seventeenth Baron of Creully.
The Sillans family started to alter and refurbish the castle in the Renaissance style - large windows, a turret backed onto
the donjon and the construction of stables.
Bought by Colbert
in 1682, the castle was handed over to the Montmorency
family, then sold as National Property during the Revolution.
It has then been sold several times (owners
On June 1944, the BBC
set up its sudios in the square tower to broadcast information on the Normandy landing.
Finally, the castle was acquired by the local council in 1946.